Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays! Throughout the years I have spent more Valentine’s Days alone than with my special someone. I have loved the holiday every year whether in a relationship or alone. Valentine’s Day is about celebrating those you love. Whether it be a quick call to your best friend, your sister, or your mom, it’s great day to take some time to appreciate those we love. Maybe it’s an informal Valentine lunch with your office mates? And of course there is my favorite…treating myself to yummy chocolate treat!
I started the search early this year for the chocolate treat I will make for my Valentine. I was lucky to have some strawberries on hand and thought they would pair wonderfully with chocolate. I found a wonderful recipe for Gooey Strawberry Chocolate Chip Brownies on SnixyKitchen which I modified into the recipe below.
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup coconut sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/3 cup carob powder (you can definitely substitute chocolate here!)
½ cup Sorghum flour (Try and gluten free flour you have in the cupboard)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup dark chocolate chips
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Combine oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together carob powder, flour, salt, and baking powder
4. Slowly add dry ingredients to the oil and sugar mixture, and mix until smooth
5. Gently fold in chocolate chips and sliced strawberries
6. Pour batter into a 8X8 baking pan oiled with coconut oil.
7. Bake for about 40 minutes , or insert a toothpick to test and when it comes out dry with just a few crumbs it’s ready.
8. Let cool for about 15 minutes before serving
These turned out delicious! I will definitely be making them again for Valentine’s Day. Please drop me a note to let me know if you have made any substitutions and how they turned out! I would love to hear about it!
May this Valentine’s Day be filled with love, understanding, and contentment as you journey through life with those you hold dear.
Best wishes for Happy Valentine’s Day!